Changing D-Link Wireless Router
Administrative Username And Password
Dlink router password:
The dlink router default password settings are slightly different between each model, but when you become familiar with the easy to remember combinations used by D-Link you’ll be logged in within a few attempts.
It is important to understand why you need to change the dlink router password default settings to something a little more secure, so WHNME will show you how.
If you have setup MAC Address Filtering, Qos Packet Scheduler (Qos), Parental Controls or other key features for your wireless home network, you want to keep those settings secure because they govern how your network operates.
We are going to demonstrate how to harden your wireless home network security.
We’ll start by creating a very secure and hard to break administrative dlink router password, and change the factory set username assigned to the router.
In this example we’ll be using the setup and configuration from a D-Link DIR300 series wireless router to change the dlink router default password.
Let’s Get Started:
Signing in using dlink router default password:
Signing into your D-Link router is done by connecting through the use of an Internet web browser, so we can be presented by the Dlink Router Login box.
- Using a computer connected to your wireless home network, open an Internet web browser used for surfing the Internet.
- Using the URL address line where you normally see web addresses being displayed for the sites you’re connected to, type the following IP address as follows:
http://192.168.0.1 and press the “Enter” key.
- A D-Link router login box should appear on the screen, asking you to enter a username and password. The username should be “admin” and the password should be left blank, then click “Login” to sign into the router.
TIP: If the username and password we’re incorrect for your model of D-Link wireless router, try these other dlink default password combinations used by most common D-Link wireless enabled networking products on the market.
|Default Username||Default Password|
If you have previously changed the dlink router password default settings, and cannot find it, you can perform a Dlink Router Reset back to factory settings.
FYI: When resetting a D-Link router back to its factory default settings all the routers configuration information will be lost, and need to be setup all over again.
- After you have located your wireless routers correct dlink default password login credentials, Click the “Login” button to sign into your D-Link DIR300 series router.
You should now be signed into your D-Link wireless router, and your Internet browser should be displaying the routers opening setup page.
On the opening page for the D-Link router setup menus, you should be viewing the “SETUP” main tab, and positioned at the “Internet Setup” sub tab.
- On the lower half of your screen, Click on the button labeled “Manual Internet Connection Setup” in the section labeled “Manual Internet Connection Options”
You should now have access into your D-Link router main setup screen.
Dlink Router Password
Changing your D-Link administrative login:
- Click on the “MAINTENANCE” tab, and then on the “Device Administration” sub tab.
In the section labeled “ADMINISTRATOR” is the username and password fields needed to change the login credentials when accessing the D-Link router setup and configuration applet.
- In the field labeled “Login Name:”, Change the default username of “admin” to a unique lowercase name which is not a word that can be found in a dictionary.
- In the next two fields Create a unique password not easily guessed by friends for family, and try not using words commonly found in a dictionary.
TIP: To create a strong password that is extremely hard to break, use a combination of upper and lower case letters with several numbers passed the eighth digit of the passphrase. By using this method, you will be creating a password so strong that most password cracking software packages would fail to break it.
- To save the newly changed dlink router password information, Click on “Save Settings” button on the bottom of the page.
- Now Click on the “SETUP” tab, and then near the bottom of the navigation bar on the left side of the screen, click on the “Reboot” button to restart the router and put the changes into affect.
That’s it! You have now changed the dlink router default password and username.