Changing Linksys Default Password
Linksys Router Password:
Linksys router default settings differ slightly from model to model, but once you know how Linksys keeps things simple you’ll be logged in within a few attempts.
The important thing is to understand why you need to change the default settings to something unique, and just who might be trying to gain unwanted access.
The first and most probable point of entry, is having direct local access to the router itself meaning being one of the computers behind the routers firewall and on the local network.
If you have setup Mac Address Filtering or other special features for your wireless home network, you just dont want anyone in there making changes without your knowledge.
The second method would be by remote management access, meaning the router can be accessed from outside the routers firewall from anywhere in the world via the Internet.
Linksys Router Password
In this example we’ll be showing the setup and configuration menus from the Linksys E1000 wireless router.
Lets get started by changing your Linksys router default password to something that will make you sleep a little bit more soundly at night.
- From any PC or laptop on your wireless home network, open your favorite web browser.
- Go to the URL address line where you normally see the web address displayed, and type in:
HTTP://192.168.1.1 and press the “Enter” key.
- The routers login box will appear on the screen, prompting you to enter a username and password. The username should be “admin” and the password should be “admin” also, then Click “OK” to login to the router.
If the router login box does not appear in the center of your screen, then try these possible username and password combinations for most Linksys routers.
Linksys Router Default Password
|Default Username||Default Password|
If you have previously changed the default linksys router password, and cannot locate it. You can perform a Linksys Router Reset to set your router back to factory settings. WARNING: all your configuration information will be lost, and will have to be setup all over again. Click Here to reset your Linksys router to factory settings.
- Click the OK button to login to your router after you have found your routers correct login credentials.
You should now have access into your linksys router main setup screen.
- Click on the “Administration” tab, and create a new password for your Linksys router.
To create a strong password that is extremely hard to break, even by the best password cracking software programs, use a combination of upper and lower case letters with several numbers passed the eighth digit.
- To save the newly changed Linksys router password information, click on “Save Settings” on the bottom of the page.
- Now click on the “Setup” tab, and on the “Basic Setup” sub-menu, scroll down to the bottom and click on the “Reboot” button.
That’s it! Now have a more secure Linksys router password.