Setup Dlink Router Options For Internet Access
Dlink router setup:
When configuring d-link router setup menus, the settings will not always be the same for each and every wireless home network.
How you configure the routers internal setup depends mainly on how your ISP is providing your service.
Also, on which wireless enabled devices you need to support on your wireless home network.
We’re going to explain the use of DHCP and Static IP addressing.
On the Internet Service Providers side, they assign their customers IP addresses either dynamically by the use a “DHCP server”, or providing their clients a “Static IP”.
The “Static IP” configuration sheet is normally given to the customer at the time the technician visits their home for the initial setup process.
WHNME will show you how the wireless router configuration is affected by the security modes and wireless network standards.
This setup procedure will give you more control as to which devices are allowed on your wireless home network and how IP addresses are assigned to them.
Let’s get started:
We’re going to show you a dlink router setup for both external DHCP and Static IP assignment, teach you about wireless security modes, give you tips on how to select non-interfering RF channels and even how to hide your wireless network broadcast from your neighbors.
In this example we’ll be using the setup and configuration menus from a D-Link DIR300 series wireless router, however if you’re using a different model of router just follow along as the setup dlink router process is very similar between all the models on the market.
Dlink router setup is an HTML based configuration applet stored inside the router, that must be accessed via Internet web browser.
If you’re not familiar with the Dlink Router Login procedure, we provide instruction on most common models of D-Link wireless routers.
Once you have the correct login credentials for your model of D-Link wireless router, select the IP configuration type your Internet Service Provider requires to connect with their Internet web server.
Dlink Router Setup
|Static IP provided by your ISP||DHCP provided by your ISP|
D-Link router setup using an external Static IP:
- After you’re logged into your D-Link wireless router, and are viewing the “Internet Setup” opening screen, Click on the button labeled “Manual Internet Connection Setup” on the lower portion of the page.
- On the next page, the field “My Internet Connection is:” in the section labeled “Internet Connection Type” Choose “Static IP” from the drop-down list as follows.
- Next in the section labeled “STATIC IP ADDRESS INTERNET CONNECTION TYPE”, Enter all the IP information provided to you by your ISP during the initial setup process when you started service.
If you cannot locate the “Static IP information sheet”, you will need to contact your ISP and request another copy before proceeding with your dlink router setup.
- Once you have entered all the IP information, Click the “Save Settings” button located at the bottom of the page.
Continue to setting up Wireless Network Settings:
D-Link router setup to request external IP from DHCP server:
Now that you have logged to your D-Link DIR300 series wireless router, it should be positioned at the opening page under the “SETUP” tab and “Internet Setup” sub tab.
- On the bottom half of the opening page, Click on the button titled “Manual Internet Connection Setup”.
- On the next screen under the section “Internet Connection Type” Select “Dynamic IP (DHCP) from the “My Internet Connection is:” dropdown list.
The other settings below may be left at their defaults.
- On the bottom of the page Click on the “Save Settings” button to apply changes to the routers configuration and continue to dlink router setup for wireless security.
Setup dlink router wireless settings:
On the main navigation bar select “SETUP” and then the “Wireless Setup” sub tab.
This is where you will setup the wireless settings and security mode for all your wireless devices.
- Next we’ll be Clicking on “Manual Wireless Connection Setup” located near the bottom of the page, so we can manually make changes to your dlink router setup and configuration.
- Under “Wireless Network Settings”, Check the box for the field “Enable Wireless:”
This will turn on the wireless radio for your D-Link router, otherwise it will only function as a wired router.
- Now you will need to create a unique name for your wireless network in the field titled “Wireless Network Name:”
TIP: Always change the network SSID from the factory default settings, because if you turn off your wireless network broadcast to make your home network invisible, the default SSID will be the first choice guessed by hackers and potential threats trying to access your wireless network.
- For the “Enable Auto Channel:” field, put a check in the box to have the router choose the best channel for your wireless devices when making a connection.
However, If you’re getting poor RF signal reliability when in close proximity to your wireless router you probably want manually select a channel for your wireless devices that is not in the same frequency range as your other household electronics.
FYI: The channel selected must be the same channel used by all your wireless enabled devices or they will not be able to communicate with your dlink router setup.
TIP: Channels 1, 6, and 11 have the best non-overlapping signal bands throughout the 2.4GHz frequency range. We suggest using a laptop on each of these channels connected to the router and monitoring the “Signal Strength” meter to find the channel least used by electronics in the immediate area.
TIP: To setup dlink router to hide your wireless network, in the options below place a check in the box titled “Enable Hidden Wireless:”, this will turn off the SSID broadcast on your D-Link router which is a great security feature to take advantage of.
Setup dlink router security settings:
If you’re not sure what security mode you should be using during your dlink router setup, always remember the following:
You should use the highest encryption level supported by your wireless equipment, and keep in mind that using WEP or WPA/TKIP will make your new DRAFT-N class equipment operate at G speeds to keep it connected to the network.
When you setup dlink router using WPA/WPA2 mixed or WPA2/AES it will allow your Draft-N wireless standard equipment to operate at 802.11n advertised speeds.
- In the area below titled “Wireless Security Mode”, choose the highest supported level of security for your wireless enabled equipment.
In this example we’ll be using “Enable WPA/WPA2 Wireless Security (enhanced)” because its the highest security available in the dropdown list.
- In the area below, leave the “Cipher Type:” and the “PSK / EAP:” at the default setting.
- For the “Network Key:” Enter a unique passphrase for connecting to your wireless network.
If you need help in choosing an unbreakable D-Link Router Password, we provide sound advice on that very topic.
- To complete the dlink router setup process, Click on the “Save Settings” button located near the bottom of the page.
That’s it! Your dlink router setup is complete.