How to Access Linksys Router
Setup and Configuration Screens
Linksys Router Access:
A Linksys router can be accessed by any of 3 different methods.
A wired connection, wirelessly or remotely if the router has previously been setup and configured.
WHNME is going to cover all three methods, so you can setup and configure your Linksys router correctly for the type of access you need.
If you need, feel free to scroll down to the appropriate section, or follow through so you can see the different ways of gaining access to your new high tech wireless device.
Linksys Router Access
Wired router access:
To gain linksys router access by wired connection, means you that you must connect physically with the router using an Ethernet cable to an available working computer.
Having the router, the routers power cord, and an Ethernet cable to connect from the Linksys router to an available PC or laptop in front of you, preform the following actions.
- Take one end of the Ethernet cable and plug it into “port 1” on the back of your Linksys router.
- Take the other end of the Ethernet cable and plug it into the ethernet port on your laptop or PC.
- Make sure your PC or laptop is booted up to a desktop and at a ready state.
- Plug the routers power cord to the back of the Linksys router, and the AC power adapter into a working AC outlet.
- Let the router power up for approx 3mins, until the router is at a ready state.
Wireless router access:
If your router has previously been setup and configured, you can access it wirelessly by opening a web browser typing in the internal Linksys Wireless Router IP Address.
- On your computer, open an internet browser, such as Internet Explorer or which ever browser you prefer when surfing the web.
- Go to the URL address line where you normally see the web address displayed, and type in:
HTTP://192.168.1.1 and press the “Enter” key.
- The routers login box will appear on the screen, prompting you to enter a username and password. The username should be “admin” and the password should be “admin” also.
- Click the OK button to login to your router.
Remote Router Access
Remote Linksys router access:
If you want Wireless Remote Access, then we need to configure your Linksys router to provide access through one of its ports from the outside.
Once you’ve logged into your Linksys router, and see the web based basic setup and configuration screen.
- Select the “Administration” tab, and assign your Linksys router a new Username and Password.
When setting up remote access, the Linksys router will not allow you to keep the default username and password for security purposes.
Once you’ve changed the default Username and Password, we can setup remote access.
- Look down to the section called “Remote Management” and select “Enable” and either use the default port setting of 8080 or change it to an available unused port of your choosing.
- Select the option for “HTTPS”, so that the login and password information is encrypted during the login process across the Internet.
- Click the “Save Settings” button to save the settings.
- Click the “Status” tab just to the rigth of the “Administration” tab”, and write down the external IP address of your Linksys router.
The external IP address, and the port number is what you need for Linksys router access remotely.
- Simply open a web browser from a remote computer across the Internet and type in the external IP address you wrote down during its configuration followed by a “colon” and the port number assigned, press “Enter”.
A login box should appear prompting you to login to your router giving you Linksys router access remotely over the Internet.